Entry 3
For this Vlog I was able to interview my cousin, Leila
Khansa, an ESL teacher at the high school level. The program at her school is
interesting because it is still possible to have newcomers at her campus, Seven
Lakes High School, and teach ESL as its own class to newcomers and intermediate
English learners. This type of ESL instruction is described in the textbook by
Wright (2015, p.108). One of the biggest things that I noticed in talking to
Leila was the fact that we discussed that her instruction is a combination of
instructed and naturalistic learning. I think it’s interesting to have noted
that, because as we all know naturalistic learning is a great way to develop
day to day skills, but instructed learners progress at a faster rate, are
likely to develop more elaborate language repertoires, and typically become
more accurate in the language they are learning. That also shows that she took
the roles of teacher as an educator and as a facilitator in her classroom
(Wright, 2015, p.29) in order to expand her student’s English language
acquisition to the fullest extent. I think that with the way that Leila teaches
her class, the students are getting the most out of their education in her
classroom and with her methods. She also mentioned that she enjoys ESL because
the students are more motivated and actually want to learn, as opposed to
students in mainstream classes who sometimes question the purpose of what they
are learning. It was also interesting to interview someone with the linguistic
background that she has. With a Masters in linguistics, she is able to
recognize the various needs for different students of different backgrounds. This
is great for students to be able to express themselves while understanding the
different subsystems of language and using them properly (Wright, 2015, p.28). She
also mentioned having the students speak in setting that are more natural to
them in order to build confidence because without confidence speaking the
second language, the students will never be able to properly speak it. This
interview really allowed me to see the inside of an ESL class and show me the
different ways to make instruction effective for the students.
Click here to watch my interview!
Hi Noor! I really enjoyed watching your interview. I found it even more interesting because your cousin, Laila, is a high school teacher. I am more familiar with hearing about elementary school grades, therefore it was a nice to hear about a high school teacher experience. When you asked her what her students struggle with the most considering their age, she stated that it was expressing themselves. She also said that the shy students are the ones who struggle the most. I can see how her students struggle with this, because at that age they are afraid of being judged. As Wright (2015) says, “learners need opportunities to interact with other speakers” (pg.53). By providing a comfortable atmosphere in the classroom, she is giving the students the opportunity to interact with others. If they are in a place where they feel comfortable enough to express themselves, then they will.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
Hey Carina! I agree I think it is great that she is a high school teacher and I was able to gain the insights of something besides elementary school ESL classes. I also agree that it is important for learners to be able to have confidence in the responses they give and the work that they do and Wright supports this in the text (2015, p.53). The ability to interact with others helps to strengthen the learners abilities as a whole and build confidence, which will allow them to improve their English skills.
DeleteHi Noor, thanks for your video! I also found your interview with your cousin very interesting. Based on how Laila described her students, it seems she is working with Foreign-born, Newcomer, Highly schooled newcomer, and possibly Students with interrupted formal education ELL students (Wright, 2015, p.10). These students have not been in the United States for very long and are still learning the English language and American culture. I like the strategy she said at the end of the interview about encouraging her students to listen to music and watch TV in English to better understand and learn the language. I especially agree with her comment on generational dialects. Every generation has its own slang, so it is very important for these students to pick up on these words, so they can fit in with their peers at school. This in turn can help them boost their confidence when speaking with native English speakers.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
Hi Lauren! Yes, most of her students are labeled as newcomers. They are definitely LEP students, but her school has a specific program that allows LEP students to take specific classes throughout high school and can benefit them in the future. I believe the type of educational plan that it would be considered as is pull-out ESL (Wright, 2015, p.107). They are able to go to their regular classes, and then attend a separate ESL class as well.
DeleteHi Noor! I really enjoyed watching and listening to your interview with your cousin Leila. It’s really fortunate that you have someone in your family that works with ESL students so that you can get a great perspective on what it’s like to teach them in a classroom. This is my first time learning about ESL programs within a high school setting, which made everything even more interesting for myself. It’s interesting to know that her instruction is both a naturalistic and instructed approach. I wasn’t very familiar with naturalist teaching so I went ahead and read through the chapter from the textbook to look more into it. Wright states that, “ the natural approach emphasizes the use of comprehensible input in the classroom so that students can acquire the language and its structures naturally as they use it for meaningful communication” (2015, pg.61). This method completely acknowledges the fact that it’s important to have opportunities of communication in the classroom so that students can interact with each other and learn about natural ways of conversation. Wright elaborates,” the teacher uses a variety of techniques, such as total physical response (TPR), ample visuals and realia, small-group work, and any other activities involving meaningful communication that can facilitate the provision of comprehensible input”(2015, pg.61). This means that educators are uses all these types of techniques in order for these students to feel included and be able to participate in all social activities in the classroom. These social interactions can really help build their vocabulary and learn how to communicate with their peers. I really love this approach and I’m glad your cousin uses this in the classroom. I would hope that teacher would try to use this approach in their classrooms mixed with other approaches as well.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
Hi Nicole! Thanks for watching my video I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I agree that meaningful communication is a huge part of developing a second language (Wright, 2015, p.61). If you do not use it, you will not be able to truly learn the language and gain the confidence necessary to succeed. This is touched on so much in the text, and is such a huge part of what second language acquisition is about. I agree that all teachers should use this approach to teaching not just with second language acquisition, but with other learning objectives as well.
DeleteHi again Noor! I’m glad that we agree when it comes to the importance of communication. Yes, it truly is a huge part of acquiring a second language and every opportunity is meaningful for these learners. I agree with your statement about how it’s touched on so much in the second language methodology textbook. It’s mentioned so that educators can see the pattern when it comes to working with English language learners. For every opportunity in school, communication is the main leading factor. Whether it’s second language learners or any student, they need communication opportunities. Students need to work together in groups and with the teacher on projects and lessons in order to acquire proper communication skills.
DeleteHello Noor! Your cousin sounds like a great ELL teacher. I think it is interesting that the students in the ELL class are more motivated to learn than those in the mainstream class, but it isn’t surprising. Although her students are in high school, young school age children have greater motivation, pressure, needs and opportunities to develop second language proficiency than adults (Wright, 2015, p. 50). To me, the motivation those younger students have to succeed, transfers into adult hood because they remember the struggle they had as children. I am glad to hear they have a teacher that allows them to express themselves and build their confidence.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition
Hi, Zoe! I also found it interesting that the students in the ELL class seemed to be more motivated to learn. I agree that the motivation that young students have can stick with them as they grow up, and I believe that a big influence on this is the first language acquisition theories. One of these theories explains that children can learn language at a young age because of imitation and positive influence from adults (Wright, 2015, p. 49). If we take this information and use it to help us in the classroom, students should be more motivated and have more confidence to practice language in class.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Noor,
DeleteThank you for sharing your interview with Ms. Khansa! I found her experiences and story very inspiring. I was most moved when she shared that she loved teaching ELL students because they "take it very seriously." It gave me a different perspective because it made me feel like our ELLs are fighting for their right to communicate and live in a nation that is English dominant. That provides a different one on one experience from the teacher, when he/she knows that his/her support means more than just being a public education teacher.
I also loved that she shared that she personalizes her lessons based on the countries that her students come from. I can tell that she is truly passionate about her craft and also very mindful of her students' background. In the text, it states that teachers must be aware of the countries their students come from and the languages they speak (Wright, 2015, p. 64). The more knowledgeable they are about their students, the more effective their teaching and lessons will be for their English language learners. Thank you for sharing!
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition